Respective functions of the Board of Governors and Principal in relation to Admissions to the school.
The Board of Governors of St. Paul’s College have determined the following admissions criteria for Year 8 in 2017/18. An admissions sub-committee will apply the criteria to the initial set of applications. Thereafter the Principal will apply the criteria to subsequent applicants. The sub-committee will be reconvened as necessary.
When considering which children should be selected for admission, the Board of Governors will only take into account information which is detailed on or attached to the application form.
Admission Criteria 2016/17
The following criteria will be applied in the order set down:
1. Students who have siblings currently or previously enrolled in the college.
2. Students who live in and or attend primary school in the parishes of Kilrea and Errigal.
3. Students who live in and or attend primary school in the parishes of Swatragh and Rasharkin.
4. Students who live in and or attend primary school in the parishes of Aghadowey and Dunloy.
5. Students who are the eldest or only child in a family.
6. Students who are entitled to Free School Meals.
7. Students whose parent/guardian is a permanent employee or past pupil of the school
If oversubscribed within any of the above criteria (1-7), priority will be given to pupils who list St. Paul's College as their first preference post primary school.
8. If there are still more children than spaces available a tiebreaker will be appplied on the basis of the initial letter of the surname of the child wishing to transfer, with the child being selected in the order set out below.
S O Q V N R W D E C I T M Y G L H B X U K F A Z J P
The order was determined by a randomised selection of letters. In the event of the surnames beginning with the same initial letter, the subsequent letters of the surnames will be used in alphabetical order. In the event of two identical surnames the alphabetical order of the letter of the first forename appearing on the transfer form will be used. Hyphenated surnames, consisting of two separate surnames will be treated as one complete word for selection purposes. Should a vacancy arise the above criteria will be applied to select pupils from our waiting list.
Admissions to Year 8 After 1 September 2017
Parents who wish to have their child considered for admission in the event of a place arising after 1 September 2017 should write to the Principal clearly stating this. In the event of a vacancy arising, the above criteria will be applied to these applicants only.